Monday, November 3, 2008

...and we're back

It's been a while since I've blogged, partly because we've been busy, but also partly because we haven't made anything brand new. All that has changed with a couple of really delicious recipes we tried and the start of my Psychiatry rotation at school providing both a new and most likely crazy source or medical stories and ample time to try new recipes as it is one of the easiest and least time intensive rotations in 3rd year.
On to the recipes that I was particularly impressed with was the Cranberry-Walnut Galette. I'd never heard of a Galette, but essentially it is a pie with out the pie pan. You roll out the dough (which in this case was a soft cream cheese crust), put the filling on it, fold over the edges and bake it. This, for me, was one of those recipes that guests will Ooh and Aah over but is deceptively simple. The filling consisted of cutting almost an entire package of cranberries in half, letting them macerate in sugar for a couple of hours, combine them with walnuts and some other stuff and then put it all together and bake the galette.
As somewhat of a post-script, one of our friends commented the other day that it takes a special talent to make pie crusts. I don't really believe that, I personally think that most people when they do make a pie crust it's only one and they make another single pie a year later and then don't get any better at making pie crusts. I think it only takes 2-3 pies in a months time or so and you'll have learned how to ride the bicycle so to speak and don't readily forget.

No comments: