Friday, July 11, 2008

A little disapointing.

Melinda went to the store two days ago and found that a pint of raspberries were $0.99. Oh the possibilities. This is like finding $5.00 in a pocket you forgot about. We ended up making an almond raspberry tort.
https://www.gastronomyinc.com/recipes/rasp_almond.html
I'll briefly describe the tort (or torte) for you. It's composed of two egg-based cakes sandwiching a layer of raspberry-almond flavored pastry cream (a pudding mixture that most will know as the filling of eclairs).
If I had to review this one I would say that it had great potential, but for the lack of clear instructions the results won't turn out like they are supposed to (It really does taste amazing, though so I would still recommend it). Here are some suggestions we thought of from our first time making it.
1) The recipe tells us to make the pastry cream and then mix it with the egg whites that have been beaten to stiff peaks. There is no mention of timing here. I would recommend chilling the pastry cream for at least a couple of hours to really firm it up before beating the egg whites and folding them in.

2) Because the pastry cream wasn't thick enough, it just oozed out between the cake portions and was a mess. To remedy this perhaps cooking the bottom cake in a springform cake pan and/or simply assembling the cake inside one would be a good idea. This will help keep the pastry cream pudding from oozing out the sides while still allowing you to remove the sides and not have to dig the cake out and ruin it.

As a post-script, we refridgerated the tort and it firmed up nicely. It also tastes fantastic, but unfortunately that presentation was really crappy.

2 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Heck, I'd eat it. Looks pretty good to me.

I've found that the only rule in photography (that I am capable of doing anything about it) is lighting. So I've been taking even my food outside to photograph it. (And then you could say it was oozing a bit from the heat/humidity).

When raspberries were cheap here we put it on top of my molten lava cakes.

Hey, is Melinda in labor yet?

Brock said...

The natural light thing is a good idea, but unfortunately I usually don't cook things until it's dark outside, so i think that would just look weird outside in the dark.